Tuesday, May 8, 2012
2012 Sailors boys lacrosse schedule
- March 9: Steamboat 13, Telluride 1
- March 13: Rock Canyon 10, Steamboat 9
- March 16: Steamboat 19, Durango 1
- March 17: Steamboat 18, Glenwood Springs 1
- March 23: Steamboat 9, Air Academy 8
- March 24: Steamboat 18, Eagle Valley 2
- March 27: Steamboat 13, Summit 1
- March 30: Steamboat 9, Grand Junction 4
- March 31: Steamboat 12, Fruita Monument 4
- April 2: Steamboat 13, Thompson Valley 1
- April 6: Steamboat 8, Battle Mountain 5
- April 7: Steamboat 14, Grandview 9
- April 12: Steamboat 16, Aspen 3
- April 14: Steamboat 12, Valor Christian 4
- April 30: Steamboat 8, Golden 5
- May 5: Steamboat 9, Denver East 4
- May 9: Kent Denver 17, Steamboat 3
Steamboat Springs The Steamboat Springs boys lacrosse team will look to knock off one of the state’s top teams when they travel to Englewood on Tuesday for the second round of the state playoffs.
The game, which originally was scheduled for Wednesday, was moved up because of a scheduling conflict with Kent Denver’s athletic field.
“They have a really solid, solid lacrosse team,” Sailors head coach Bob Hiester said. “They don’t have any weaknesses and they played a very strong schedule this season.”
Hiester said the key for the Sailors will be possessing the ball and maintaining a high-level of play throughout the game. “We are going to have to be on top of our game against this team.”
Hiester said Kent Denver is one of the programs that sets the standard in the state of Colorado. He and his Sailors are looking forward to facing an elite program.
“It’s great for us to play a program like this,” Hiester said. “We are gaining a lot of respect in the state and this is an opportunity for us to gain even more respect from one of the top programs in the state.”
Hiester hopes Kent Denver may be looking past Steamboat — a team from the Western Slope that hasn’t played a lot on the Front Range this season — to the next round.
“Hopefully we will be able to go down there and play as well as we have been playing,” Hiester said.
The two teams are scheduled to take the field at 5:30 p.m.
To reach John F. Russell, call 970-871-4209 or email jrussell@SteamboatToday.com